Nice Wee Theme

Nice Wee Sites is pleased to announce the launch of a new theme for Wordpress, the Nice Wee Theme. It’s a minimalist brown-on-white design, very much in the Nice Wee Sites style of things, and allows you to upload your own avatar and choose an appropriate header icon. Read more and download it here, or view the demo site.

screenshot

46 Responses to “Nice Wee Theme”

1. greob says:

Nice work on that theme!
    I like the clear and simple layout, which is easy on the eye.
    Greets.

2. Hi there! I love your theme and have been enjoying it on my new Web site. I am having a problem with adding Widget, though … and I’m hoping that you can help me. I would like to add an RSS feed – for subscribers. But whenever I try and add a widget, the entire right-hand scroll bar disappears. Any suggestions? Thank you so much. Amanda

3. admin says:

Hi Amanda,

In Wordpress the default sidebar items will disappear when you start using widgets, so you need to replace them with their equivalent widgets. Does that help?

In the first version of the Nice Wee Theme, the avatar would disappear as well, but in the new version it will stay put whether the default sidebar or widgets are used. The new version is downloadable from the Wordpress Theme page on this site.

I hope this answers your question – let me know…

4. Scott says:

I like your theme and want to use it but one of my pages needs comments and when i load your theme up there are no comments? Is there tags missing?

5. admin says:

Hi Scott. Well spotted – there is a tag missing. I’ll be issuing a new version of the theme soon, but in the meantime you can add < ?php comments_template(); ?> to the page.php file, just above < ?php endwhile; endif; ?>

Hope that helps.

6. Scott says:

sweet thanks, http://www.authorscritique.com, does it now. great theme :)

7. admin says:

Cheers, Scott, and watch this space for the new version that will include the tag and also enable use of threaded comments in Wordpress 2.7.

8. Widz says:

Hello. I love love your theme and am using it for my blog. I made some small adjustment – just the border :) . Anyway, I wonder if you could help me with the content font-size; it looks wonderful – but I’d like to have the same font size (content) when I viewed (clicked) an entry. It seems get increased. I know, it’s a silly thing to ask. But I’m not familiar with these html codes :( . Please help!

Thank you!

• admin says:

@Widz: in the theme’s style.css file, just comment out the following code (you should find it around line 82):

.widecolumn .entry p {
      font-size: 1.05em;
      }

That should do the trick but let me know if it doesn’t and I’ll try to help :-)

9. meg says:

Thanks for a great theme! I needed something that was simple and clean for my class blogs but which I could tweak visually for each class — and the avatar lets me do that. Hurrah!

I’ve been dinking around with style.css, and while I managed to change the font size (and color if I wanted to — but I don’t), I haven’t figured out a way to change the color of the header title. Is there one, or is 513e3e my new best friend?

Thanks again…

• admin says:

Hi Meg. Glad the theme is working for you! You can change the colour of the header title around line 187 in style.css:

h1, h1 a, h1 a:hover, h1 a:visited, #headerimg .description {
      text-decoration: none;
      color: #513e3e;
      }

Let me know if you have any trouble, though.

If you resize the Chaucer image to 190 pixels wide it will fit nicely in the sidebar, and remember you can change the header icon too.

10. meg says:

Thanks! That’s very helpful.

I did in fact figure out how to resize the image and change the header icon:

I still need to go through that and tweak the colors, though…

11. Amy says:

Hi – I am new to all this, so maybe I am missing something, but I have followed your directions exactly to change the header image on the nice wee theme template. When I hit update, it says my edit was successful, but in viewing the site, no changes have been made. What am I missing? The images are clearly there in the images/header folder. Help!

• admin says:

Hi Amy, I see your header image is different now – do you still need help? Perhaps it was a caching issue with your browser?

12. mikemunsil says:

Just a note to say that I consistently receive compliments on the look of the blog. Thanks again for providing such a nice template.

Mike Munsil
    Liberty Hall Writers

13. Jess says:

Hi,

I’ve been told that my sidebar looks strange on a Mac, specifically the avatar photo, Google searchbar, and Blogher ad. Any thoughts?

• admin says:

Hi Jess,

I’ve checked in Safari and Firefox on my Mac and it looks as if the Google searchbar is wider than the theme’s sidebar – it’s spilling over the edge and causing the other widgets to drop beneath the main content of your blog. Is there an option to make the searchbar narrower? Failing that, you could move it to the bottom of the sidebar to minimise the impact. Let me know if you’d like a screenshot, or want me to re-check once you’ve made some amendments.

The avatar looks fine to me!

14. vivanv says:

thank you for your theme,really simply and neat!

15. Stefan says:

Awesome, minimal theme! Very customizable and clean.

I had the follow question about it. What I am trying to accomplish is to make the image on the left hand side the same width and height as the image on the right hand side (image in right bar).

I tried removing some things from the #headerimg { but had no luck.

Thanks,

Stefan

• admin says:

Thanks, Stefan :-) I’ll take a look at your question when I get a moment and get back to you in a day or two.

• admin says:

Okay, there are three sections of style.css you will need to adjust to get what you want. Those are:

- around line 74, #headerimg – adjust height
      - around line 315, #headerimg – adjust width and height
      - around line 640, #sidebar – adjust margin-top

You might also need to play with #headertitle (around line 320) – margin-top and width.

Hope this helps. Remember to test your results in a few different browsers, too.

16. Mike Munsil says:

Ya know? There’s a downside to having a nice looking site (thanks!). When something goes wrong, you get a LOT of email… :)

On my index page (which is not static) and only on the index page, the right side column now starts up below most (but not all) of the posts. This does not happen on any static page or when using a permalink to view a post.

Any ideas?

And thanks again for the great theme!

Mike

• admin says:

Hi Mike,

Hmm, strange problem. It’s not happening with your archives (eg http://www.libertyhallwriters.org/page/2/). Initial thought was it must be an embedded image or video that’s too wide for the theme, but visiting each post individually shows that’s not the case.

Sooo, a bit more detective work and I notice that some of the post titles on the index page look smaller than others – everything below the storybook post. Looking at the source code for that post, there are two closed paragraph tags (/p) with no opening p tags, and two (if I’ve counted correctly) divs are left open – something here looks likely to be the cause of the problem. I suggest temporarily removing the post (keeping it as a draft) to see if that does indeed solve it. If it does, take another look at the coding in that post!

Let me know if that doesn’t fix it, though, and I’ll get my thinking cap back on.

Ruth

17. Mike Munsil says:

Cool! That was it. Thanks so much!

18. Navin says:

I just experimented with it. Nice theme. But, I heard problems on MAC, is that true? Any browser compatibility issues? I would like to know -

- I installed wordpress into a custom directory and not in root. How can I change ‘Home’ label to ‘Blog’? Home label should point to my root. And blog label to wordpress blog home.

- Can I change it to flexible width? What is the current width of the page? How can I change it?

Pl.Help! I am not familiar to web

• admin says:

Hi Navin,

Where did you hear about Mac problems? The theme was developed on a Mac and has been pretty thoroughly tested on a range of browsers on both Macs and PCs. I’m not aware of any problems but if you could pass on more details I’ll look into it.

There is information about changing the width here: http://www.niceweesites.com/2009/04/13/widening-the-nice-wee-theme/

The code you need to adjust to change the way pages are listed is in the theme’s header.php file, near the bottom:

<li class="home"><a href="<?php echo get_settings('home'); ? rel="nofollow">">home</a></li><?php wp_list_pages('sort_column=menu_order&title_li=&depth=1') ?>
  19. Georgi says:

Hi, wonderful site. I use it for my stuff that i am writing.

I want that all post ,that are in category “poetry” been showing in center.

So i think it should be some PHP code > if categorie == poetry ,then pagging …

I dont know exactly how it will work. Please help me :)

Wish you a nice day.

Georgi

20. Sandra says:

Superb theme, just one problem – i upgraded my wordpress to 2.8, and now the theme looks very strange in Safari and Firefox (still looking great in Explorer).

So… any plans on doing a 2.8-version? :)

• admin says:

Hi Sandra, The theme works on 2.8. I’ve had a look at your code and I think there’s an issue with closing divs being in the wrong place. If you look yourself, you’ll see that the footer div is not closed and there are too many closing divs at the end of the sidebar. This has probably been caused by a plugin.

Try removing a couple of closing divs from the end of the sidebar and adding them to the end of the footer and you should see a difference – but preferably try to work out which plugin is causing the problem and remove it.

Hope that helps.

21. Sandra says:

Okej, I will try that and thank you so much for this quick answer!

22. Sandra says:

I found two divs on the top of the footer that I remowed, and now it works. Thanks again.

23. Uncle Jimbo says:

Love the theme. Wondering of there is a way to use a favicon with it.

Cordially,

Uncle J

24. Fey says:

Cool theme!
    I have two problems on this theme.
    First, I added feedburner codes in widgets, but in sidebar I can’t click it for subscriber on this icon, it’s just show how many readers. You can’t click it!
    Second, the font size in blogroll is too small for Chinese, yes, I wanna adjust the font size just for the blogroll(links), not the whole sidebar, how can I do this?
    Thank you very much, I like this clean theme very much.

25. Fey says:

Sorry, it’s my fault. The first problem has a solution. I need your help the second question, thank you.

26. Michelle says:

I truly love the style of my wee site but I need to change the avatar and don’t know how. Do I have to know HTML in order to run this theme? I’m afraid I’ll have to find another theme if this is the case as I’m totally HTML illiterate! Is there a way to do these functions without knowing. Also the notice says something like: the files for this theme is located at /theme/my- wee-theme. Is this supposed to be tacked on to the wordpress.com address in order to access it. Sorry this message sounds so confused. I just love the design and would love to hang on to it if I can!
    Cheers!

• admin says:

Hi Michelle,

You need FTP access to change the avatar, and I don’t think a Wordpress.com website allows that. Sorry, I need to make that clear in the notes, and I’ll bear it in mind for future releases – maybe I can find a friendlier way to allow the avatar to be changed.

Thanks for your nice comments though!

27. Michelle says:

MY blog isn’t hosted on the WordPress.com site, it’s hosted on My own hosting site, via GoDaddy. Which means I should have FTP access to my own files. I just don’t know how to do it. Is there anyone familiar with godaddy who could give info?

28. Your theme is rocking our business! Thanks you. Now I have a dumb question, I can’t seem to reorder the page order on the home page. I want to to put “home, the farm, the farmer, the farm products, education,” etc i that order and can’t seem to do that…any tips? Thanks for such a great little theme.

29. Matthijs says:

Wonderfull theme – love it! However, in IE9 Beta the position of the avatar seems to be depended to the icon, site title and tagline. Do you have a suggestion what would be the reason for this?

30. jiji says:

Hi~ :) I’m using your theme. It is very simple and lovely!
    I edited your theme and I have a question..
    I want to edit CSS about a response’s responses.. (more smaller than upper(parents) response).
    How can I edit it?
    If you answer me, I will be very appreciate it. thanks for reading!

31. I’m using your wonderful Nice Wee Theme. I’m trying to use the standard Search Widget on my site and I’ve also added the Search Excerpt plugin http://scott.yang.id.au/code/search-excerpt/

No matter what I search for, I’m sent to a page that only displays my blog header and Page Navigation menu. No search results of any kind and no error message nor a message saying that no results were found.

Note that the same thing was happening before I added the extra plugin.

If you have any suggestions as to what might be wrong, I’d really appreciate it.
    Thanks!